What is a Homunculus
The Homunculus is a pet which assist players in ways such as a support, an instant partymate, or a sacrifice for the player. The player must be an Alchemist or a Biochemist and must go through the Bioethics Quest to unlock the appropriate skills required to create a Homunculus. After the quest Bioethics the skill will be available to the player and the rest of the Homunculus Skill Branch shall be available through the distribution of skill points.
There are 4 types of Homunculi with various attributes unique to each.
How do you get a Homunculus?
To call out a Homunculus, an Prepare Potion with the following materials purchasable from the Al De Baran Alchemist guild [alde_alche: 35, 179]:is required. These can be purchased from other Alchemists or self-made. In order to make an Embryo, an Alchemist must use the Skill
- (Not Consumed)
Success rates of creating embryos are affected mainly by the Alchemist's DEX and LUK.
Once an Embryo is obtained, use the skill Call Homunculus to summon the Homunculus. In the Pre-Noghalt patch, there will be a probability of failures when summoning Homunculi. With the Noghalt patch, however, the probability of failure is replaced with unique sprites of the original Homunculi. There are 4 basic types of Homunculi —Amistr, Vanilmirth, Filir, and Lif— and the chance of getting each is random. Although not completely proven, it is a popular "fact" that the creator of the embryo's stats plays in a role in the probability of summoning each Homunculus.
Homunculus Status and Skill Points
Homunculus have their own set of stats apart from their masters, these will have a set amount upon summoning and will vary as it level. With each level, a Homunculus will receive a certain amount points to each stat (STR, INT, DEX, AGI, VIT, LUK) depending on which type of Homunculus. These stats are invisible under the Homunculus stat window (Alt+R). The Homunculus's ATK, MATK, HIT, CRITICAL, DEF, MDEF, FLEE, and ASPD will be visible. To calculate the Homunculus's stats, use the following equations or use RODE: Homunculus Calculator. The Homunculus also gains one skill point for every three levels. Unlike Status points, one can apply these to whichever skill one would like.
New Homunculus are born with 20 intimacy (Awkward).
After the implementation of Noghalt, Homunculi can evolve. Use a(simply double click it) when the Homunculus's intimacy is Loyal to evolve it. With Evolution, the Homunculus will obtain random bonus of 1-10 for each of the stats, increased HP and SP, and a new sprite.
After evolving, the Homunculus' intimacy resets to 10 (Hate). Once its intimacy reaches 910 (1 point before Loyal intimacy) again, a fourth, new skill is unlocked.
Controlling the Homunculus
Here is a listing of all manual functions with the default AI. In general, there will be no need for any other manual functions in most Custom AIs
- Alt + Single Right Click: Target monster
- Alt + Double Right Click: Attack monster
- Alt + T: Standby, idle/passive mode, cancels all commands and returns to master
- Alt + Right Click Ground: Move to location (15 tile range)
- Alt + R: Information window
If the player is dead, manual commands can't be issued. The AI will continue to function as normal however.
Feeding and Intimacy
Much like pets, Homunculus require feeding. Feed the Homunculus when its hunger is between 11~25 to get 1 full point of intimacy. Feeding at the other times will give less than a full point and may even reduce the intimacy. If one forgets to feed the Homunculus, its intimacy will decrease, and it will leave the master if it goes below zero intimacy.
|Starving at 1%~10%||-1 (every 200 seconds)|
The homunculus also display emotes as a way of warning the player. The emotes used are:
|Hunger drops to 75%||/ok|
|Hunger drops to 25%||/hmm|
|Hunger below 11% every 20 seconds||/sob|
|Player feeds without proper item||/swt|
|Player feeds at 1%~75%||/ho|
|Player feeds at 76%~90%||/swt2|
|Player feeds at 91%~100%||/wah|
|Failed to use skill||/...|
Intimacy is crucial for evolution, obtaining the final skill, and AFKing. Intimacy has not been proven to affect Homunculus stat growth. Intimacy points will not show in the Homunculus window. However for each interval of intimacy points the Homunculus has, the window will show:
|1-3||Hate with Passion|
The player dying, the Homunculus dying, or the Homunculus vaporizing does not affect intimacy. Stressing it (other than using ultimate skills) is the only way that to lower its intimacy. One can stress the Homunculus by not feeding it (hunger < 11) or overfeeding it (hunger > 75).
Each hour of starving cause 18 Intimacy loss (3600 seconds per hour / 200 seconds per loss).
If the player is away from the computer for a full 24 hours of starving, the Homunculus loses 432 Intimacy 18*24=432
If the player can no longer Call Homunculus or Homunculus Resurrection, then the Homunculus has left its master for good. However, Alchemists are able to create a new Homunculus.
Experience & Leveling
- When a monster is killed by a homunculus alone:
- Owner gets full Base Experience, but no Job Experience, from the monster.
- Homunculus gets the full experience from the monster.
- If a player kills a monster and his/her homunculus doesn't contribute to the kill at all:
- Player gets all Job Experience from the monster.
- Homunculus get no Experience at all,
- If a monster is killed by having both the player and his/her homunculus dealing damage to the monster.
- Player gets 125% of the monster's Base Experience - For example, a Sidewinder gives 1,996 base experience. If both the player and the homunculus participate in the fight, the player gets 2,495 experience (1,996 * 1.25) instead!
- Player gets a portion of the monster's Job Experience based on how much damage is dealt by the player (the Job Experience pool is 125% of normal)
- Homunculus gets a portion of the monster's EXP based on how much damage is dealt by the homunculus
- Whenever the player dies, if the homunculus is above 80% HP, it will automatically be Vaporized. If it is below 80%, it will not vaporize and is able to continue to fight, and the player continues to receive EXP from Homunculus, but manual commands cannot be used.
FAQ for Homunculus
- The max level for a homunculus is:
- Eir: 99
- Eir: 99
- They gain a skill point for every three levels. There is no Job Level equivalent.
- They obtain additional EXP from server rates and Battle Manuals, like a player would.
- Their Flee and Defense is not reduced by the number of monsters.
- Their Hit is capped at 99%. Even if it has way more hit than required for a monster, it will always miss at a 1% chance.
- All Homunculus have a base attack speed of 1.4 seconds / attack (130). Different stat growths lead to different attack speeds of each Homunculus.
- Homunculus Stat Growth is RANDOM. It is possible see how well the Homunculus is doing on average at Doddler's Chart in the Useful Links section. However, nothing will affect what stats will grow and what stats will not.
- Homunculus can hit Ghost Property Monsters.
- It is possible to fail to create the embryo.
- Homunculus HP (all), Dexterity (Highest with Filir, all except Vanilmirth), and Strength (Only Amistr) gained when leveling have been increased. Note : This change will not apply to existing homunculi, however, there will now be options to recalculate their stats without creating a new homunculus as noted above. One free reset can be obtained per Creator (or Alchemist) by visiting the NPC in Morroc.